We would like to develop a new version of our CMS. We resell our CMS to clients and as a part of setting up a new website will overlay a clients graphics over and around the CMS. We do not need any graphic design or logo design, except for a basic demo design that will be used before we apply a clients' graphics.
The CMS should be written in PHP using MySQL for storage and should be expandable in the future so that we can add features like a simple newsletter, photo gallery, private login area, news article feature, etc....
The interface for editing should be more reflective of the website design i.e. a heads up display so that it appears as though you are editing your website, not just a text box. I will post a PDF with a diagram of what I mean by this.
I expect this to be a custom coded system, not based on joomla, wordpress or another open-source CMS. It should be packaged so that it can be installed on a cPanel server relatively easily, i.e. setup DB and user via cPanel and then run a script which creates required tables and prepopulates basic information.
This will be an ongoing project starting with v0.9 of the CMS, moving on to create a newsletter, gallery, blog, calendaring, private members area and document sharing plugins (these will be created individually over the next year).
During this time I also imagine small changes or improvements would be made to the CMS.
The requirements of this project include:
- WYSIWYG page editor
- Image upload utility (directly accessible from the same page as the editor)
- Resource upload utility (same as image but for PDF, DOC, XLS)
- Basic site options i.e. meta tags, title, link style, page alignment, menu style
- Edit header and footer
- Completely scalable i.e. pages and subpages can be added as needed
- Modern AJAX/Ruby like interfaces i.e. if one option is selected then another may roll out, I would like to stay away from standard text boxes, and old style items (does this make sense?)
What's not expected:
- To be able to edit the graphic design of the website, we'll manually apply the design to the CMS, the user can only edit page content, add/edit/remove menu items and alter basic elements like link system
What would be desirable:
- Ability to easily edit CSS for the wesbite i.e. change page headers or menu styles for the entire site in a WYSIWYG editor
- Future ability to apply different themes or templates i.e. select from pre-configured list of themes that have been programmed such as a winter or summer theme
I've attached a PDF with a graphical overview of the new interface for the CMS, I call this a heads up view, where you see your actual site as you edit as a reference.
By dynamic features, I mean page loads like those found here: <[url removed, login to view]>
and forms like these <[url removed, login to view]>
I am open to suggestions, though would prefer to see a small demo before committing to something new.
Any questions please ask.